Community

What Event Planners Can Learn from Ancient Rome?

The culinary world seems to discover a new dining trend every five minutes, but when it comes down to it, banquets haven’t changed all that much. There might be some inspiration and ideas event planners can learn from ancient Rome. I recently read this very entertaining and informative piece about history’s ten greatest banquets, and I was struck by what they had in common, all the way back to the days of Nero. They were once-in-a-lifetime events full of entertainment and surprise. They were opportunities for people to show off their wealth. But most importantly, whether it was dormice sprinkled with…

Read more

Brazil Eventos & Transparency

As an international speaker and Food & Beverage expert, I’ve found at least one universal truth – allergies are present in all countries and, therefore, a place must be set at the table for attendee safety and trust. I speak on a number of topics when I travel, including legislation and legality of meetings, efficient food and beverage budgeting, custom eater menu planning, and more. Next week I’ll be in Brazil discussing important food trends from around the world and how to seamlessly incorporate these exciting trends into your meetings and events for an experience your attendees will devour. I’ve…

Read more

The Next Frontier is Dine-Arounds: Eating in Chefs’ Homes

Most conference planners want to plug their attendees into the vibe of the city they’re in, but when planning around a jam-packed education schedule, it can be a challenge to find the time. One tried-and-true solution is the dine-around: Send small groups to different restaurants around the city, to allow attendees to engage with their surroundings and taste what the locals eat. Recently, a dizzying number of tech startups have pushed this one step further, offering visitors a chance to eat in the homes of locals. This gives visitors the opportunity to learn, over the course of a few hours,…

Read more

A Brief History of Eating: Dining Trivia For A Shared Meal

Whether it’s through lavish parties or simple snacks, the act of eating has brought humanity together since the beginning of time. Food is essential to the stories of the Judeo-Christian faith, from the fruit that cast Adam and Eve out of Eden to Christ’s Last Supper. Holidays both religious and secular are almost all organized around a meal. What would Thanksgiving be without a feast? A bunch of football games? And meals make up some of the most famous moments from literature. Think about the wild tea party in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, or the moment Oliver Twist dares to…

Read more

Eating Communally

The Power of Eating Communally

Can Eating Communally Positively Impact Events? When we think about food at conferences, most of the talk is about logistics: How do I serve 500 people while the keynote speaker is talking? How many drink tickets can we afford to give away for free before charging? What meat will most of our attendees eat? Don’t get me wrong, this type of problem-solving is vital. If you can’t feed your attendees, you’ll have riots in the ballroom. But here’s the thing: We see meals as part of the structure, not the content of the meeting, in other words, what happens when…

Read more

Focusing on Food You CAN Eat

When I was diagnosed with an allergy to yeast 10 years ago, I immediately went out and bought the “Yeast Connection” by William Crook, MD, which was recommended by a friend. It explains how to suspect, identify and overcome chronic health problems related to yeast. I wanted to be better – no more chronic sinus infections, cysts, hives, gas, bloating, menopause symptoms at 30, lethargy and more — so I went cold turkey avoiding the list of foods on the “MUST Avoid” list. Unfortunately neither the food illustrations nor the recipes in it or other Candida-diet books did anything to…

Read more

Welcome to Thrive! Meetings & Events

What does your event say about you?

It’s not just who’s attending your event, it’s how you plan it and what you’re serving.
Does it seem like organizing an event is harder than ever these days with shorter turnaround times, shrinking budgets and managing guests with allergies to dairy, shellfish, wheat, or even sugar? Gone are the days of booking months out, unlimited budgets and one-size-fits-all meals.

Now you have to think about doing more with less and feeding vegetarians, pescatarians and Rastafarians! Okay, maybe not Rastafarians. But the fact is, event planning—including food & beverage—is more complicated today than ever before.

Relax. Take a breath. Thrive! has been doing this for years and can show you the path to creating successful and memorable events that not only meet business objectives; we also have a special focus on providing cost-effective, healthy and delicious menus that account for every possible dietary need out there.

Keep reading to learn more about what we do and how we do it—everything you need to know about this specialized field is here.

Read more

October 1, 2011: FAAN Walk for Food Allergies Atlanta

Walking to Save a Life! On Saturday, October 1, the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) held its Walk for Food Allergies Atlanta to raise funds for food allergy research, education, advocacy, and awareness. As one of 46 walks held across the country this year, the Walk for Food Allergy Atlanta drew more than 500 walkers from across the city and raised more than $55,000! An estimated 12 million Americans, including three million children, have a food allergy – that’s one in 25. Food allergies are a potentially life-threatening medical condition, and according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) food…

Read more